|The ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks a SOCIAL WORKER with either an MSW or a BSW with 2 years experience. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and spoken abilities, strong typing skills, have a sincere ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants facing possible deportation and their families. Fluency is Spanish is required. Prior immigration law experience is a plus, but not required.
The person hired will work in our Batavia, NY office with occasional trips around Western NY. This is a new position.
The position requires that a social worker:
- have the ability to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of our legal team. S/he must also work cooperatively with all staff in the Immigration Program , which includes attorneys, paralegals, and support staff;
- be able to work with clients who have been victims of trauma and their families;
- be able to work with families of detained people to develop and implement release from detention plans;
- identify and build relationships with area shelters and resource programs available for noncitizens;
- have the flexibility to handle an array of projects as the need arises, and be able to multi-task;
- be very organized and capable of tracking his/her work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements, as well as participating in preparing required data and reports to funders;
- be reliable and a professional representative of VLP;
- be proficient in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Excel, Word and Access) and familiar with such basic office technology as faxing, emailing and copying.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is based on experience. VLP is a non-profit agency with excellent fringe benefits including fully paid health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
PLEASE APPLY BY MAY 21, 2018. Please send a resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in and skills for this position, and contact information for 3 references to: Maria Valeri, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. 8 South Lyon St., Batavia, NY 14020 or email@example.com
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com