|The ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks an experienced (or paralegal degree completed) paralegal.
The person hired will work in our Batavia office with occasional trips around Western NY. Much of the work will be to support our advising public defenders and assigned counsel about the immigration implications of various criminal law pleas or convictions for non-US citizens. This will include setting up and coordinating events including CLE?s; producing brochures; coordinating with courts, outside agencies, and our own staff; data collection and reporting. The person will also assist our staff attorneys with representation of detained individuals facing possible deportation.
The position requires that a paralegal:
- have the ability to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team. The paralegal is expected to work closely with the immigration attorneys that train and advise public defenders on immigration consequences of criminal pleas, but also to support other staff immigration attorneys in their removal defense work, which may include preparing evidence and drafting motions and applications for relief in accordance with court rules; and speaking with clients and their families. S/he must work cooperatively with all staff in the Immigration Program as well, which includes other paralegals and support staff. We expect a positive attitude and a willingness to learn immigration law and procedure.
- have the flexibility to handle an array of projects as the need arises, and be able to multi-task.
- be very organized and capable of tracking his/her work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements, as well as participating in preparing required data and reports to funders.
- be reliable and a professional representative of VLP
- be proficient in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Excel, Word and Access) and familiar with such basic office technology as faxing, emailing and copying.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is based on experience. VLP is a non-profit agency with excellent fringe benefits including fully paid health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible. Fluency in Spanish is preferred, but not required. Prior immigration law experience is a plus, but not required.
PLEASE APPLY BY MAY 21, 2018. Please send a resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in and skills for this position, and contact information for 3 references to: Maria Valeri, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. 8 South Lyon St., Batavia, NY 14020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com