|The ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks an experienced (or paralegal degree completed) paralegal. The ideal candidate will have excellent writing and spoken abilities, strong typing skills, have a sincere ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants and their families, and to fully support our staff of immigration attorneys in litigating a high volume of deportation cases moving at a quick pace. Fluency is Spanish is required. Prior immigration law experience is a plus, but not required.
The person hired will work in our Batavia office with occasional trips to the Buffalo office.
The position requires that a paralegal:
- have the ability to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team. The paralegal is expected to fully support several immigration attorneys in all of their work, which will include preparing evidence and drafting motions and applications for relief in accordance with court rules; and speaking with clients and their families. S/he must also work cooperatively with all staff in the Immigration Program as well, which includes other paralegals and support staff. We expect a positive attitude and a willingness to learn immigration law and procedure.
- have the flexibility to handle an array of projects as the need arises, and be able to multi-task.
- be very organized and capable of tracking his/her work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements, as well as participating in preparing required data and reports to funders.
- be reliable and a professional representative of VLP
- be proficient in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Excel, Word and Access) and familiar with such basic office technology as faxing, emailing and copying.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is based on experience. VLP is a non-profit agency with excellent fringe benefits including fully paid health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, and generous leave time. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
PLEASE APPLY BY MAY 21, 2018. Please send a resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in and skills for this position, and contact information for 3 references to: Maria Valeri, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. 8 South Lyon St., Batavia, NY 14020 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com