Founded in 1990, the New York Legal Assistance Group provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. The agency serves immigrants, seniors, the homebound, families facing foreclosure, renters facing eviction, low-income consumers, those in need of government assistance, children in need of special education, domestic violence victims, persons with disabilities, patients with chronic illness or disease, low-wage workers, low-income members of the LGBTQ community, Holocaust survivors, and others in need. The agency's annual cash budget is approximately $25 million. Serving more than 75,000 New Yorkers annually, New York Legal Assistance Group maintains a paid staff of approximately 260, supported by 1,200 pro bono attorneys and other volunteers and interns. For more information, applicants are encouraged to visit www.nylag.org.
NYLAG has an immediate opening for a highly motivated Staff Attorney within NYLAG Immigrant Protection Unit (IPU). IPU handles a comprehensive range of immigration cases. The Staff Attorney will represent immigrant clients on a variety of immigration matters at USCIS, Immigration Courts and Board of Immigration Appeals with an emphasis on removal defense cases. The Staff Attorney will be collaborating with New Immigrant Community Empowerment (NICE) day laborer centers throughout NYC who will be referring clients to NYLAG after initial screening.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal representation for immigrant clients in a variety of immigration matters, focusing on removal defense cases;
- Prepare legal documents such as memos, motions, and appeals;
- Provide advice and consultation to immigrants in New York City, including at on-site clinical programs;
- Represent NYLAG at advocate meetings and community events
- Admission to any state bar
- 2-3 years of immigration law experience
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest work
- Excellent written, oral and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
NYLAG's Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
NYLAG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, veterans, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people, and those with lived experiences in the communities we serve are strongly encouraged to apply.