The Legal Aid Society is seeking an experienced, inspired, and energetic lawyer for the position of Supervising Attorney of the Racial Justice Unit (RJU).
The Society's Racial Justice Unit (RJU) will work across all three practice areas: Criminal Defense, Civil, and Juvenile Rights to identify and examine complex issues of race equity in our legal system. This unit will raise critical awareness of the systemic oppression that communities of color experience within every facet of our legal system through the use of research, policy advocacy, impact litigation, community engagement, and strategic communication.
The RJU will serve as an internal and external research and policy resource for the organization as well as for city agencies, local advocates, and policy groups, by providing data, reports, and publications about racial inequity issues. The unit will also work on internal diversity initiatives to promote and enhance racial justice within the organization.
The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the current societal systems that continue to uphold the status quo of racial inequity. This individual will critically analyze these systems and engage in multi-dimensional advocacy methods to enact meaningful change.
* Engage in policy advocacy on the City, State, and Federal level regarding issues relevant to communities of color
* Collaborate with specialized units, including but not limited to the Community Justice Unit and the LGBT Law and Policy Initiative, to identify issues for impact litigation and oversee and support those efforts
* Examine daily practices and areas of our work and how they impact communities of color
* Engage in data collection and analysis on racial inequity issues
* Utilize data and research to support various media, advocacy, and education efforts
* Develop and produce advocacy and public education materials for community outreach and media campaigns
* Develop and produce internal and external training materials
* Help develop racial equity and diversity initiatives to enhance and promote racial justice within the organization
* Seek visibility through public appearances including but not limited to speaking engagements, media appearances, and conferences, for the purpose of contributing to public debate on racial inequality
* Engage in coalition-building with community and government mobilization efforts to effect policy change
* Other duties as assigned