The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking a Supervising Attorney to join a dedicated, interdisciplinary team in the citywide Immigration Law Unit's New York Immigrant Family Unit Project (NYIFUP). The Supervising Attorney will be involved in day-to-day operations and will work closely with the Attorney-in-Charge, Deputy Attorney-in-Charge, and other Supervising Attorneys to train, supervise, and mentor staff. The Supervising Attorney will participate in Practice-wide management discussions and decision making.
The Immigration Law Unit is a recognized leader in the delivery of high quality legal services to immigrants in New York City and surrounding counties within the New York District of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The Unit provides low-income New Yorkers with free comprehensive immigration services ranging from deportation defense to adjustment of status to Legal Permanent Residence and citizenship applications. The Unit specializes in the intersection between immigration and criminal law and works collaboratively with all practice areas to serve the Society's diverse immigrant clients through a comprehensive service model. Unit staff represent immigrants before USCIS, immigration judges in removal proceedings, and the Board of Immigration Appeals, in federal court on habeas corpus petitions and petitions for review, and on administrative and judicial appeals. Currently, the Immigration Law Unit is comprised of an Attorney-in-Charge, Deputy Attorney-in-Charge, six Supervising Attorneys, thirty-four Staff Attorneys, nine Paralegals, and three Social Workers.
* Assist in coordinating and supervising the Unit's New York Immigrant Family Unity Project in collaboration with the other NYIFUP supervisors, and supervising the Unit's federal practice
* Assist in the direct supervision and mentoring of Staff Attorneys, Paralegals and volunteers working with detained and non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings
* Assist in monitoring and maintaining a high standard of representation and client service
* Maintain a reasonable caseload
* Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy, and supervise implementation of legal strategies
* Foster and encourage teamwork and communication
* Train staff members
* Provide oversight to a weekly detention hotline staffed by volunteer attorneys
* Assist with the development and implementation of programs
* Assist with the funding for and reporting on programs
* Respond to client, community, and staff concerns
* Other duties as assigned