|Posted by: Linda Gehron, President & CEO - 9/22/2017
|Job Expires: 10/23/2017
|The Frank H. Hiscock Legal Aid Society is currently seeking an experienced Controller to oversee and be responsible for all financial activities, including day-to-day accounting practices, management and reporting, budget, general accounting, billing, grants financial management, adherence to Federal/State Regulations, and ensuring annual audits and the annual Form 990 are completed in accordance with OMB Circular A-133, GAAP, and other applicable regulatory standards.
Reporting directly to the President & CEO, the Controller will provide support to the Management Team, as well as the Board of Directors, including Audit and Finance Committees on all financial, budget and audit matters. The Controller will maintain internal controls and financial processing systems.
Other responsibilities include: maintaining the general ledger, monitoring and supervising the processing of accounts payable and receivable, preparation of accounts and billing, preparation of grant and contract financial reports, payroll processing, and audit preparation and implementation.
The Controller position requires excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills, communication, organizational, and computer skills, as well as the ability to exercise professional discretion and discernment, independent judgment, and business acumen. The Controller position requires a proven track record of trustworthiness, personal accountability, and exceptional ethics. In addition, the Controller should have knowledge of contracting, negotiating and GAAP and have mastery of QuickBooks and Excel.
WORK DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Maintain an internal control system that continuously monitors critical areas of financial control, identifies problems and implements corrective action.
- Ensures annual audits are performed in accordance with OMB Circular A-133, GAAP, and/or other applicable regulatory standards.
- Process or supervise the processing of all accounts payable and receivable transactions, billings and cash receipts.
- Ensure preparation of bank account reconciliations and general ledger account analyses and reconciliations.
- Review semimonthly payroll and maintain payroll records using Paylocity
- Supervise full-time Staff Accountant.
- Ensure accurate management of grant reporting matters.
- Prepare and submit government filings and reports (including working with the audit firm that prepares Form 990) and state filings.
- Coordinate the annual budget process and track actual performance against the annual budget. Provide regular feedback and direction to the President & CEO.
- Manage relationships with external entities including banks, investment advisors, licensing and accrediting organizations, state charity registration, and insurance carriers.
- Develops and implements an effective billing system that assures that all services are billed correctly, and include proper documentation, and minimizes the time necessary to collect payments.
- Reviews all contracts that have a financial impact on the organization and assures that management is well-aware of the financial implications of entering into those contracts.
- Provides financial input to the organization's strategic planning process, assuring that a long-range financial plan is part of the strategic plan
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the highest integrity, be diplomatic, analytical, and possess sound judgment.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS & CONDITIONS
- Bachelor or Master's degree from an accredited university in accounting or finance. CPA strongly preferred. Candidates with a minimum of 5 years- experience with a nonprofit with annual revenues of at least $5,000,000 highly preferred.
- A strong understanding of finance and accounting practice, with grants management experience.
- Mastery of finance, accounting and budgeting including thorough understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), internal controls and financial reporting.
- Essential computer skills and expert software knowledge of QuickBooks, Adobe, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Publisher and MS Outlook; with knowledge of Paylocity platform a plus.
- Proficiency in clearly communicating information about finances and accounting issues to non-accountants and individuals with varying levels of financial expertise
- Familiarity with specialized nonprofit industry accounting practices, reporting requirements and procedures.
CLOSING DATE: Until position is filled.
SALARY/BENEFITS: D.O.E.; generous benefits.
TO APPLY: Send or email cover letter, resume and three professional references to:
Linda Gehron, President & CEO
Frank H. Hiscock Legal Aid Society
351 South Warren Street
Syracuse, New York 13202
Hiscock Legal Aid Society is an equal opportunity employer, persons of color, women, LGBT and bilingual persons are encouraged to apply.
|Copyright © 2001-2017 WNYLC|