|DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Legal Services of Central New York
(LSCNY) (www.lscny.org) seeks a
Director of Development. The Director of Development is an employee of LSCNY,
but will engage in fundraising services for the Legal Aid Society of Mid-New
York (LASMNY) under contract with LSCNY. LSCNY and LASMNY have formed a
cooperative venture - the Justice Alliance of Central New York -- to provide
critically needed legal services and advocacy to low-income individuals,
households, and communities on civil (non-criminal) matters such as housing,
economic security and development, access to health care and education, and
personal and family safety.
We seek to make a difference in our
clients' lives and their communities by eliminating the barriers that cause
poverty and reduce our clients' ability to escape from poverty. We continually
search for ways to accomplish our mission by creating new projects such as the
Faith Seidenberg Racial Justice Initiative and the Community Counsel Project to
promote economic development in communities we serve. With annual revenue of $6
million, LSCNY has 58 staff members working across seven offices in the region.
LASMNY's staff and revenues are similar.
Working with the LSCNY management
team, the Director of Development designs and implements a program to raise
funds, including annual giving, foundation and corporate grants, major gifts, and
special events. The Director of Development coordinates development efforts,
including necessary external relations activities, with appropriate committees
of the Board of Directors. The Director of Development is responsible for:
- Assessing current fundraising activity and implementing revisions based
on that assessment;
- Raising money through comprehensive planning, organization,
coordination, and implementation of a successful private fundraising program;
- Researching and identifying new sources of foundation and corporate
support; preparing grant proposals; following up with funding sources on
- Facilitating Board and committee participation in fundraising
- Collaborating with other local civil legal
services organizations on fundraising activities;
- Working collaboratively with staff and the
Board to interact with donors, business and community leader, foundation
leaders, and the media; and
- Designing and implementing a public relations
and marketing plan to expand public awareness of LSCNY's work through print,
electronic, and social media outlets.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.
- Significant resource development experience
with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; familiarity with public
relations, marketing, and external relations.
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving, and interpersonal
- The ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Familiarity with legal profession and civil
legal services for low-income individuals, households, and communities is a plus.
Closing date for applications is September 22, 2017 or when filled.
D.O.E.; liberal benefits.
Send or email cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references to:
Director of Human Resources
of Central New York, Inc.
Warren Street, Suite 300
Legal Services of Central New York,
Inc. is committed to hiring, retaining, and promoting diversity and
culturally appropriate inclusion so we can be more creative, effective, and
just, bringing more varied perspectives, experiences, backgrounds, talents, and
interests to the practice of law and the administration
of justice. We
accept, respect, and value differences that include attributes such as age,
race, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression,
disabilities, language, socioeconomic status, marital and parental status, and