Volunteers of Legal Service (VOLS) seeks 1) a full-time Senior Staff Attorney and 2) a full-time Staff Attorney to help launch and lead our Microenterprise Project's Commercial Leasing Assistance Program (C.L.A.P.). We are looking for lawyers with experience in commercial leasing, enthusiasm for launching a new program, and a commitment to helping New York City's neighborhoods thrive.
VOLS' Mission: VOLS' mission is to leverage the good will, talents, and resources of large law firms to provide pro bono assistance to low-income New Yorkers. In our Microenterprise Project, VOLS' staff and a network of law firms and volunteer lawyers serve this mission by providing crucial legal assistance to small business owners and low-income entrepreneurs in areas such as commercial leasing, intellectual property, contracts, and business formation.
The Microenterprise Project Staff Attorneys will have an exciting opportunity to work with our Microenterprise Project Director to strengthen New York City's neighborhoods by expanding the Project's capacity to provide legal assistance on commercial leasing and related matters.
- Assist the Microenterprise Project Director with all aspects of the launch and growth of this exciting new way to serve New York City's small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Provide excellent transactional legal assistance to small business owners and entrepreneurs, with an emphasis on commercial leasing issues.
- Develop in-house contracts, forms, and educational materials for program use.
- Support pro bono efforts by assisting with placing matters with volunteers and co-counseling matters with volunteer lawyers
- Collaborate with NYC Small Business Services, the contracting agency, and with two other legal services organizations on the C.L.A.P.
- Conduct outreach, including facilitating educational workshops and conducting brief advice clinics and intake screenings
- Using LegalServer, VOLS' case-management database, maintain complete and current data on Microenterprise Project clients and activities
- Meet case and contract reporting deadlines. Strengthen the Microenterprise Project's relationships with community organizations
- Work with Microenterprise Project Director to publicize the project's work and accomplishments through social media and the press.
- Support VOLS' fundraising efforts by assisting with grant/contract reports and proposals and attending networking events.
- (Senior Staff Attorney) Supervise a staff attorney
- J.D. and an attorney admitted and in good standing in New York State
- At least two (2) years of prior experience providing lease-related services to small businesses in New York City, including reviewing, drafting, and negotiating commercial leases. The Senior Staff Attorney is expected to have at least five (5) year of prior experience.
- Demonstrated experience providing direct client legal representation
- Knowledge of the commercial leasing landscape for small businesses in New York City
- Experience working in fast-paced, high volume case setting with extensive client contact and experience handling cases from intake to closing
- Experience working with low- to moderate-income individuals and/or small business owners
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience litigating commercial landlord-tenant cases, a plus
- Fluency in Spanish preferred, but fluency in another non-English language, a plus
- Strong organization, documentation and record keeping skills
- Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills with persons of varying degrees of knowledge and understanding in leasing matters
- Demonstrated commitment to advocacy and quality client service
- Efficiency in time management and balancing competing priorities
- High skill and comfort level with basic Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and case management software
- Ability to work well under pressure with clients facing daunting time-sensitive situations
- Professionalism and collegiality
- Ability to work as a team with other Microenterprise Project staff and independently, as well.
Salary will be competitive and will depend on experience. The range for these positions is $60,000-$85,000.
VOLS offers an excellent benefits package, including health, life, and disability insurance, a retirement plan to which VOLS contributes, and the option to contribute to a 403(b) plan. We also provide 25 days of paid vacation and 12 days of paid sick leave annually.
How to Apply
To apply for the Staff Attorney positions, please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application for Microenterprise [Senior Staff Attorney or Staff Attorney]." Please review our website www.volsprobono.org, and in your cover letter, provide a brief explanation of your personal or professional interest and/or experience as it relates to VOLS's work. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so you should apply as soon as possible. No phone or email inquiries, please. VOLS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, sex, religion, or any other prohibited category.