The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer with a deep commitment to public interest practice and policy to serve in the Disability Advocacy Project (DAP) in the Bronx Office. The Staff Attorney will have a primary responsibility to represent individual clients who have been denied benefits and who have lost first-level administrative appeals, through second-level administrative appeals to the Social Security Administration's Appeals Council and judicial review of final unsuccessful appeals in federal district courts. The Staff Attorney may also be called upon to work with pro bono attorneys and to represent clients in first-level administrative appeals before Administrative Law Judges, and with other DAP activities and government benefits.
* Represent clients in City, State, and federal court proceedings, administrative proceedings, and affirmative litigation
* Train and engage in community outreach and education to individuals, local community-based organizations, and education and housing advocates
* Engage in policy advocacy on behalf of clients
* Coordinate and collaborate successfully with other groups and organizations
* Represent the Civil Practice, the Disability Advocacy Project, and The Legal Aid Society in the community
* Work with pro bono lawyers
* Conduct off-site intake, including during evening hours
* Other duties as assigned
* Admission to NYS Bar. Those applicants who have pending applications for NYS bar admission or are sitting for the first scheduled NYC bar exam following applicant's law school graduation will be considered.
* Experience in Social Security law preferred, but not required
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
* Excellent written and oral advocacy skills are required
* Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team and manage a high volume of
* Excellent organizational skills
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions about this posting email email@example.com.
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not PDF your application will not be processed.