The Legal Aid Society, the nation's oldest and largest social justice legal services organization, has an immediate opening for a dedicated, passionate, and experienced Criminal Defense Attorney in the Criminal Practice. The Criminal Practice is the primary public defender in New York City, providing holistic, client-centered representation to over 200,000 people facing misdemeanor, felony, and homicide charges.
The Criminal Defense Attorney will provide zealous advocacy in all phases of a person's legal matter from arraignments through hearings and trials, as well as other related proceedings, such as school suspension, DMV refusal, and asset forfeiture hearings. The Criminal Defense Attorney collaborates with attorneys and advocates in the Civil and Juvenile Rights Practices to avoid or mitigate any civil consequences arising from a client's contact with the criminal system. The Criminal Defense Attorney also works with a team of investigators, social workers, and paralegals to provide clients the comprehensive, high-quality representation they deserve.
* 5-20 years' demonstrated commitment to public defense, social justice, and racial justice;
* New York State bar admission (or ability to waive into New York State from another jurisdiction);
* Experience as a first chair in felony hearings and trials;
* Knowledge of felony sentencing;
* Experience with direct and cross examination of expert witnesses; and
* Knowledge of relevant New York State laws including evidence laws, criminal and constitutional laws, statutory interpretation, and ethical principles contained in the Rules of Professional Conduct.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- Women, People of Color, Gays and Lesbians, Transgender People, Veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions about this posting email firstname.lastname@example.org.