The Legal Aid Society's Civil Practice is seeking an experienced and talented lawyer with a deep commitment to public interest practice and policy to join a dedicated, citywide team of managers, staff attorneys, social workers, supervisors and support personnel as the Supervising Attorney of the Government Benefits Unit and General Legal Services of the Staten Island office.
The Government Benefits Unit provides representation, legal assistance, legal advocacy and education to clients who need income and related supports from city, state and federal programs including but not limited to case assistance, supplemental nutrition assistance (food stamps), Medicaid, and federal disability benefits. The Supervisor will also provide support to housing advocates representing low-income tenants in eviction proceedings who seek rent arrears grants from city agencies and charities. They will coordinate with city-wide initiatives related to all government benefits. The Supervisor will also provide on-site support for all staff including the family law and housing practitioners. In particular, they will assist housing advocates with debt collection proceedings related to broken lease claims pursued in small claims court.
The Supervising Attorney reports to the Attorney-in-Charge of the Staten Island Neighborhood Office and will be primarily responsible for the smooth and effective running of the Government Benefits Unit. They will also provide remote, back-up support for the Family Law Unit. The Supervising Attorney will also coordinate some grant projects, be a mentor to and supervise experienced and new staff, and provide legal leadership in working with other staff to prioritize legal issues. The Supervising Attorney participates in Practice-wide management discussions and decision-making and is responsible for maintaining relationships with other stakeholders in the legal, court, and service communities.
* Supervise, mentor, and train staff attorneys, paralegals and volunteers
* Client representation in State and federal administrative and court proceedings
* Monitor and maintain a high standard of representation and client service
* Maintain a reasonable individual caseload
* Develop impact and/or affirmative litigation
* Assist with the fundraising for and development, implementation and reporting of programs
* Coordinate intake
* Provide oversight of pro bono initiatives within the tax and consumer practices
* Respond to client, community and staff concerns
* Evaluate office needs and identify necessary resources to address the needs
* Analyze legal issues, develop legal strategy and supervise the implementation of legal strategies
* Prepare and submit necessary grant reporting paperwork
* Assist with planning and conducting citywide and statewide coalition meetings and task forces
* Foster and encourage teamwork and communication
* Reinforce and maintain staff accountability
* Evaluate conflicting demands and prioritize workload
* Develop and maintain community support and relationships with community-based organizations, advocates, government agencies, elected officials and the courts
* Represent the Civil Practice and Legal Aid in the community
* Conduct community education, training and outreach and promote the work of the office, the tax and consumer law practices and the Civil Practice
* Conduct off-site intake, including during evening hours as needed
* Other duties as assigned