Safe Passage Project is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to immigrant children living in
New York. We fundamentally believe no child should face immigration court alone and our team works together to
advocate for the fair, compassionate and equal treatment of all immigrant children.
The Staff Attorney will mentor pro bono attorneys in the representation of minor clients from New York City. The
Staff Attorney will guide pro bono attorneys through Family Court and Immigration Court proceedings, and
through representation at the Asylum Office. The Staff Attorney will also assist senior management in the
organization and management of Safe Passage Project's dockets. The Staff Attorney will report to the Director of
Legal Services. The position is full-time and is eligible for Safe Passage Project's benefits.
Supervise and mentor pro bono attorneys with Safe Passage Project.
Screen immigrant children and assist in the Organization and Management of Safe Passage Project's legal screenings.
Provide some direct representation of Safe Passage Project clients.
- Provide detailed and regular reporting statistics on each case that the Attorney mentors or represents directly.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- J.D. degree and admission to New York State Bar required;
- At least three years of relevant family or immigration law experience. Experience as a litigator is a plus;
- Fluency in Spanish is required;
- Excellent written, analytical, oral, organizational and time management skills;
- Experience working with diverse communities;
- Experience working with children (preferred).
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on an interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced, high
- Must be a ready to grow and learn with the Safe Passage Project Team.
$55,000.00 + per year.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
duties, responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.
Safe Passage Project is an equal opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQ People, Veterans and
people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All interested applicants must email a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references electronically in a
single PDF document to email@example.com. Please use the subject line "Staff Attorney Application" in